[PPGIS] New publication on community mapping and coastal management in Tanzania

Nora Fagerholm ncfage at utu.fi
Wed May 22 04:16:30 EDT 2019

Dear all,

On behals of UTU Tanzania team (http://tanzania.utu.fi/), I’m glad to share a recently published paper on the role of place-based local knowledge in supporting integrated coastal and marine spatial planning in Zanzibar, Tanzania.

The lack of spatial knowledge regarding marine and coastal environments and their sociocultural values hinders the integration of a multitude of different marine activities within the spatial planning decision-making. In data poor areas, where the knowledge of marine ecosystems is lacking or is outdated, novel methods for gathering information on marine activities

and values are needed. We demonstrated in this study how the participation of local inhabitants and planning experts may facilitate that goal.

Best regards,

Nora Fagerholm

Nora Fagerholm, PhD
University lecturer