[PPGIS] New publication

Greg Brown greg.brown at uq.edu.au
Mon Dec 14 17:34:16 EST 2015

Hi all,

   Here's a new publication that applies spatiality (PPGIS/VGI) to stakeholder analysis for marine conservation planning that will be published in Applied Geography. Marine conservation is the new conservation frontier with only about 3% of the global marine area in nominal protected status.   A pre-print of the manuscript is available on the Landscape Values and PPGIS Institute website and you can download here:  http://www.landscapemap2.org/publications/marine_stakeholder.pdf

   The Kimberley Coastal and Marine Project (Australia) was a large research effort led by Professor Susan Moore at Murdoch University.  You will see more quality publications from her team. The team's engagement with the Aboriginal community (called "traditional owners" in Australia) was exceptional in this project.

Greg

Stakeholder Analysis for Marine Conservation Planning using Public Participation GIS

Abstract

Stakeholders are presumed to represent different interests for marine and coastal areas with the potential to influence marine protected area planning and management. We implemented a public participation GIS (PPGIS) system in the remote Kimberley region of Australia to identify the spatial values and preferences for marine and coastal areas. We assessed similarities and differences in PPGIS participants (N=578) using three operational definitions for "stakeholder" based on: (1) self-identified group, (2) self-identified future interests in the region, and (3) participant value orientation that reflects a preferred trade-off between environmental and economic outcomes. We found moderate levels of association between alternative stakeholder classifications that were logically related to general and place-specific participatory mapping behavior in the study region. We then analyzed how stakeholder classifications influence specific management preferences for proposed marine protected areas (MPAs) in the study region. Conservation-related values and preferences dominated the mapped results in all proposed marine reserves, the likely result of volunteer sampling bias by conservation stakeholder interests participating in the study. However, we suggest these results may also reflect the highly politicized process of marine conservation planning in the Kimberley where conservation efforts have recently emerged and galvanized to oppose a major offshore gas development and associated land-based infrastructure. Consistent with other participatory mapping studies, our results indicate that the chosen operational definition for stakeholder group such as group identity versus interests can influence participatory mapping outcomes, with implications for MPA designation and management. Future research is needed to better understand the strengths and limitations of participatory mapping that is framed in stakeholder perspectives, especially when sampling relies heavily on volunteer recruitment and participation methods that appear predisposed to participatory bias. In parallel, practical efforts to ensure that social research efforts such as this are included in MPA planning must remain of the highest priority for scientists and managers alike.

Greg Brown
School of Geography, Planning and Environmental Management
The University of Queensland
Email: greg.brown at uq.edu.au<mailto:greg.brown at uq.edu.au> | Ph: 07 3365 6654 | Fax: 07 3365 6899
Post: Level 4, Building 35 University of Queensland Brisbane Australia 4072
http://www.gpem.uq.edu.au/

Please visit the Landscape Values and PPGIS Institute  http://www.landscapevalues.org<http://www.landscapevalues.org/>

[emailsig2]<http://www.gpem.uq.edu.au/>